Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:33:08 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net
Cc:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error Message

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:07:09 CST, "Mark Einreinhof" wrote:

> xntpd[690]: bind() fd 4, family 2, port 123, addr 00000000,
> in_classd=0 flags=1 fails: Address already in use
>
> It is showing on my login screen. Which address is already in use?

When xntpd tries to bind to port 123 on your host, it finds the port in
use.  You can find out what process is already bound to the port with:

	sockstat |grep 123

You may get a few false hits, but you'll be looking for something like:

USER	COMMAND	PID	FD	PROTO	LOCAL ADDRESS	FOREIGN ADDRESS
foo	foo	255	0	tcp	*.123		*.*

It's quite possible that you're just trying to start xntpd from the
command-line when it's already been started up at boot time. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.