Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:37:36 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial line fbsd installation with no CD

Hi Bill,

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 10:13:13AM -0400, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> Subject: Re: Serial line fbsd installation with no CD
>
> Earlier in the linear time track, approximately Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 14:38 ,
> &Jez Hancockdivulged this public information:
>

> > I have two colocated servers in the US and I'm in the UK.
> > I need to install FreeBSD 4.8 from scratch across a serial
> > connection that exists between the two servers. The current OS
> > are FreeBSD 4.6.2 and as such I am unable to adequately make
> > world to the latest STABLE release.
>
> > Further I do not have the option of installing from a CDROM
> > installed on the server. Has anyone been in a similar situation
> > and if so how did you resolve the problem?
>
> What is ther problem with the makeworld you are having?
The problem was with ipfw2 and in general it's just the fact this is
currently not a production server and we'd rather have a fresh install
of 4.8 (the NOC currently installs 4.6.2 for some reason and it might
become the case that they'll start installing 4.8 by default when they
answer us - negating the need for a solution to the subject question:).

> And are you really performing 'make world' and not 'make
> buildworld' ?
I followed /usr/src/Makefile:

# 1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
# 2.  `make buildworld'
# 3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
# 4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
# 5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
# 6.  `mergemaster -p'
# 7.  `make installworld'
# 8.  `mergemaster'
# 9.  `reboot'

with the exception of using 'make update' in between steps 1 and 2.

/etc/make.conf setup as:

SUP_UPDATE=     yes

SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
SUPHOST=        cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=        /etc/supfile-src-stable
PORTSSUPFILE=   /etc/supfile-ports-all
DOCSUPFILE=     /etc/supfile-doc-all

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS+=-I/usr/local/include/sasl1 -DSASL
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS+=-L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD+=-lsasl

SENDMAIL_MC=/etc/mail/munk.nu.mc

IPFW2=TRUE

/etc/supfile-src-stable setup as:

*default host=cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress

src-all

> I have several colocated servers and I perform OS upgrades
> via a cvsup of the sources.   What are the problems with the
> makeing the system.
Sorry I should have mentioned one is production and one is dev (this is
the one we're rebuilding and migrating to).

> Since these are production servers I'd almost be
> inclined to say to go with the 4.7 pathched release.
>
> I've not moved any to the 4.8 RELEASE yet as it still is a bit
> 'young' in my opinion.  I do have then on the 4.7's with the
> lastest patch level
My plan was to install a stock 4.8 system and immediately cvsup to STABLE.
Perhaps as you mention it would be better to stay with 4.7-RELEASE until
4.8 is out of it's infancy.

Hopefully the NOC support will get moving on providing at least a 4.7
CD for installation.

This all brings to mind another question I had regarding partitioning,
will start another thread for that :)

Many thanks again,

Jez