Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:30:46 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        Robert Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, yurtesen@ispro.net.tr
Subject:   Re: processes cant be killed?

kill -9 won't work. Zombie processes cannot be killed. Their address
spaces have been deallocated so they can't get any signals.

You shouldn't worry about zombies. They are harmless and the only
bothersome thing is that they appear on the output from ps.
They'll go away when you reboot.

regards,

-Oscar

For PGP Public Key: finger obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu