Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 12:34:29 -0800
From:      Daniel Zappala <zappala@cs.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cardbus controller status request / notebook update

Can anyone tell me the status of the CS6832 and TI1131 support in PAO?  I
understand they are still in the testing phase, but what is working?
I.e. can the controller be probed?  Put into compatability mode?
Any cards working yet?

For those interested, here is my notebook update:

In my quest to buy a notebook that I can dual boot W95/FreeBSD,
I've been finding out which PC Card controllers and graphics
chipsets the newer notebooks use.  I'm trying to find one that
has a P233 CPU.  I haven't been able to find info on the PC
Card controllers from a lot of sites (Dell, DEC, HP), but here
are some that I've found the info for:

Notebook		PC Card Chipset		Graphics Chipset
IBM Thinkpad 560X	TI 1250A		NeoMagic 2160 / 2MB
IBM Thinkpad 770	TI 1140			Trident Cyber 9397 /2MB
Micron Transport XKE	TI 1131			NeoMagic 2160 / 2MB
Gateway 9100		CL 6832			Chips/Tech 65554
Gateway 9100		CL 6832			NeoMagic 2093
NEC Versa 5000		TI 1131			NeoMagic 2160 / 2MB

(The 560X PC Card info isn't on IBM's site yet, but since a Thinkpad
would automatically be my first choice, I called tech support on it and
they gave me the info.)

The Thinkpad 560X uses a new TI chip and since it is an ultraportable, the
CDROM, modem, and NIC all use the PC Card slot.  The TI1250A is not supported
by PAO, so this means you are out of luck trying to load FreeBSD (except
maybe by sticking it all on diskettes).

The TP 770 models use the TI1440, which is also not supported, but
do take a CDROM through a bay so you could load FreeBSD off
CDROM.  The 1AU model (top of the line, 14" screen) has an integrated modem,
so you at least have some net access to fall back on if the PC Card NIC
doesn't work, but it also costs $7k.  All models use the Cyber 9387 chip,
which is not supported by either XFree86 or XIG.

The rest of the machines above use one of the chips that is
undergoing testing in PAO and so it is possible the PC Card slot will
be supported in the (near?) future.

XFree86 doesn't support any NeoMagic chips, but XIG has a driver for
the 2160 and I don't mind paying a little for the X server if I'm
putting down a lot for the laptop anyway.  XFree86 does support the
Chips/Tech 65554.

I think the NEC Versa has only a P166, so that machine is out.

So it comes down to the Micron XKE and Gateway 9100.  I like using
a pointer instead of a touchpad, so I am leaning toward the
Micron (which has both).  It also comes with a CDROM, so I can load
FreeBSD off that medium if I need to (i.e. if the PC Card NIC won't
work), and an integrated modem so I can fall back to PPP for network
access while getting the NIC to work.

Comments welcome.

Daniel Zappala
zappala@cs.uoregon.edu