Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:51:43 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        charlespeters@tecpro.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: directory ownership, group name, and permissions required for web access

Charles A. Peters wrote:

> I have setup an FreeBSD server with apache 1.3.1 installed.
> Almost everything works properly, except that I cannot browse to
> the http://www.domain.com/~charles/ site.  I'm sure that it is a
> owner:group / permissions issue.  What should these values be for the
> /usr/home/charles/public_html directory?

I don't think it matters, as long as the user your webserver running has
search access to it. If you want it to be able to generate dir lists for
folders with no index.html, they'll need read access too.

> I would like to give a particular user, charles, access to my html root
> data directory (ie: /usr/local/www/data) so that he may post changes
> to that directory via ftp (remember: root cannot ftp into a server),
> or is there a more appropriate way to handle this situation.

You can either make it owned by charles, or make charles a member of the
group who owns it (say "www") and make it group writable. Or some other
way I haven't thought of. The latter scheme, using group-writable, may
be more useful if more than one user need to put stuff in the html root.

--
Ben Smithurst                                          ben@scientia.demon.co.uk