Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 11:54:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        shubhamr <shubhamr@malkauns.nsc.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: please help me-urgent.

y[in reply to shubhamr <shubhamr@malkauns.nsc.com>, 02/05/02]

> I did set the IP address of my freeBSD machine by the command
> ifconfig wx0 139.187.94.95
>
> It also took it and showed the same when I gave the command
> ifconfig
>
> Does this mean that the driver for the NIC was loaded successfully?

Yes! The ifconfig tool can only work with properly detected interfaces,
which means that if you can see your card with "ifconfig -l", the
hardware is probably working well.

> I was not able to ping tho'.But want to know if atleast the attach has
> happened successfully tho not the transmit/receive?

I guess it has. What type of problem do you get when you ping? If you
receive "No route to host", maybe you need to add a default route with:

	% route add default your.gateways.ip.addr

as ifconfig does not do this for you. Also, maybe you need to add a
netmask to the ifconfig command?

good luck,
w.

--