Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:23:56 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito@ph.noda.tus.ac.jp>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, imp@bsdimp.com
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster USB?

Quoting Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito@ph.noda.tus.ac.jp> (from Sat, 17 Feb =20
2007 20:50:42 +0900 (JST)):

> Its cause is that FreeBSD sound system is unfit for USB sound systems.
> Some USB sound devices have several mute knobs.
> But FreeBSD sound system has one mute knob only.
> Thus FreeBSD can't control mute knobs of USB sound devices.

Did you had a look at the new OSS v4 API stuff? We can have more =20
device specific mixers now. Unforunately no driver uses this yet, so =20
no examples. But you can ask ryanb@ about them. He did implement this =20
as part of the SoC last year. It allows to add all mixer devices, not =20
only the hardcoded ones as specified by AC97. And I think it allows to =20
have binary mixers (on/off), but I'm not sure about this part...

> `SB Live! 24-bit External' makes the mute knob on
> when none is plugged in `phones'.
> FreeBSD can't change the mute knob from on to off.
> Thus you can't get any sound.
> If something is plugged from beginning,
> the mute knob is off, and you can get some sounds.

Ah! This explains why I was able to get sound only sometimes. Now that =20
something is always plugged in, I get sound always.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from
the vexation of thinking.
=09=09-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1831

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137