Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:10:30 -0500
From:      "Ron Hensley" <ronh@intercom.net>
To:        "Jim McIver" <jmciver@lmtribune.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp upload rights

I might suggest installing proftpd (/usr/ports/ftp/proftpd
Its config file is a lot more customizable then the stock ftpd
With it, you can do all those fancy things like allow upload/read
but deny download/delete in a specific directory.

Here's an example of how you do that with proftpd in the proftpd.conf file
  <Directory incoming/>
     <Limit STOR CWD>
        AllowAll
     </Limit>
     <Limit READ RMD DELE MKD>
        DenyAll
     </Limit>
  </Directory>

Note it allows upload Via STORE and allows cd into with CWD
however denies downloads and deletes etc.