Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:29:48 HST
From:      knowtree@aloha.com
To:        Matt Staroscik <matt@wrongcrowd.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you duplicate a drive?

> I have a RAID mirror (2x 160GB) which I would like to back up onto a spare
> 160GB drive.
>
> I do not have a hot-swap caddy so I was planning on powering down the
> system to get the backup drive in and out.
>
> But once I have the new blank drive in, what is the best way to duplicate
> the RAID? Ideally I would like to create a disk that could boot the system
> (and rebuild the RAID) in case disaster strikes.
>
> Can dd do this?

As far as I know (never having done it myself) yes, byte for byte.

Before you do that I suggest you read up on vinum, the FreeBSD mirroring
service. There is man vinum, and a lot more in the on-line handbook, and
even more in Greg Lehey's The Complete FreeBSD. Greg wrote vinum, BTW.

(Greg, no charge for the plug.)

Gary Dunn
Honolulu