Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:07:16 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bjoern.koenig@alpha-tierchen.de>
To:        Joe Holden <joe@joeholden.co.uk>
Cc:        Arone Silimantia <aronesimi@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help needed setting up NATIVE ipv6 connection

Joe Holden schrieb:
> Arone Silimantia wrote:
>> [...]
>> My provider has given me a /48.  They emailed me and told me the
>> following:
>>
>> - IP block is 1234:1234:1234::/48
>> - gateway is ::1
>>
>> That is all they told me.  So my first instinct was to ifconfig an
>> alias on em0 with inet6, and then add a inet6 default route.  BUT, I
>> keep reading that with ipv6 you don't want to manually configure
>> addresses and routes - there is some kind of fancy autoconfigure you
>> can do with your gateway so that you don't need to manually configure
>> the addresses (?)
>>
>> So two questions:
>>
>> - is there indeed some fancy autoconfigure, and I don't need to
>> manually ifconfig and 'route add inet6 default'

Add the following line in /etc/rc.conf

ipv6_enable="YES"

This is enough to let FreeBSD configure the interface with IPv6
automatically using router solicitation.

>> - if not, assuming I just want to assign a single ipv6 address to
>> myself (let's say, ::2, since ::1 is the gateway) what is the ifconfig
>> syntax to add that one ipv6 address to my NIC (em0) as an alias that
>> will not interfere with the ipv4 address that is already there ?

ifconfig_fxp4="inet <ipv4>"
ifconfig_fxp4_alias0="inet <ipv4>"
ifconfig_fxp4_alias1="inet6 1234:1234:1234::2/64"
ifconfig_fxp4_alias2="inet6 1234:1234:1234::3/64"

>> Thanks.
>>
> Think of it in the same way as Static/DHCP v4 works.
> Static machines have manually assigned addresses, dynamic/moving
> clients have autoconfigure by dhcp. It works in a similiar way,
> you will need to configure ip addresses using ifconfig em0 inet6
> as normal.

Autoconfiguration is not intended to be done by DHCP. There may be a
router advertising daemon rtadvd(8) running on the gateway that answers
router solicitation requests of hosts in the network. Nevertheless
DHCPv6 has been designed to offer IP to requesting clients.
Unfortunately there is no DHCPv6 daemon available that implements this
feature as far as I know, not even the WIDE-DHCPv6 daemon (net/dhcp6).

Regards
Björn