Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 15:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu (-Vince-)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > 	Hmmmm, okay but I thought Micropolis wasn't that big of a player
> > > in the market.  Isn't Seagates reliable since they are using the
> > > technology they bought from CDC/Imprimus many years ago atleast on their
> > > WREN and Elite Drives...
> >
> > Seagate make/have made some of the very best, and some of the very worst
> > disks on the market.  As Rod observed, their Hawk and Hawk-II drives
> > have proven themselves to be very good units.  The Barracuda family are
> > actually reasonably old technology, and weighted their design tradeoffs
> > very heavily in favour of performance.  As a consequence, they have
> > (possibly) excessive heat dissipation and noise characteristics, but
> > when they came out, there was nothing that could touch them for speed.
>
> 	Hmmm okay but what drives can touch the barracuda's in terms of
> speed?

A hand full or two, basically any 7200RPM drive on the market is in
this ``class'' of drives.  I am selling Quantum, Quantum/DEC, Micropolis,
and Fujitsi drives that can all compete with the barracuda.  The barracuda
was just first to market with this level of performance (and when you ship
product that dies being first to market can be quite bad for you, as it
was for Seagate this time).

> > Micropolis have been around for a _long_ time; anyone remember the DEC RD53?
> > Whilst that wasn't a particularly good disk, they have a really solid
> > reputation, and (here at least) they offer a 5-year warranty on most of
> > their disks.
>
> 	That's true but like it seems like wasn't CDC one of the drives that
> was like a industry standard?

CDC was one of the former premier drive manufactures when they were in
business, yes.  But I will say that this went to hell in a hand basket
once segate took over the operation.