Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:15:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      manish jain <goodredhat@yahoo.com>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making APC 500 Back UPS (basic) work with FreeBSD

Hi Don,

  Thanks for the reply. But yes, APC is selling in India the models it can't sell anywhere else. My 500 VA Back UPS (purchased new last month) does not have any cuaa/usb interface. It's not just APC alone, there's a whole lot of companies that throw their junk in here in this country. Thankfully FreeBSD is not one of them.

  Regards
  Manish Jain

"Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com> wrote:
  On Tuesday 21 February 2006 08:26, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> manish jain wrote:
> > I just purchased an APC 500 Back UPS (the basic model, not the
> > pro/smart one).
> > It does not have any serial/usb interface. Can I get apcupsd or any
> > other daemon to work with it so that the system automatically shuts
> > down before backup supply runs out ?
>
> No. If your UPS isn't smart and does not have an external USB or
> serial port, apcupsd has nothing to work with.

As best I can tell from the OP's description, and the APC website, they
all have a UPS port. Go from there.

Don

Yahoo! Mail