Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:20:40 -0800
From:      Samara McCord <mccord@zytek.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world exposes memory errors!?

Greetings,

Upgrading 2.1.5 to 2.1.7, I've run "make world" more than half a dozen times
and it always core dumps on signal 11 while running gzip (always at a different
point), such as:

-------
compressing in /usr/share/man/man5: term.5 -> term.5.gz
compressing in /usr/share/man/man5: terminfo.5 -> terminfo.5.gz
Memory fault - core dumped
*** Error code 139
Stop.
*** Error code 1
Stop.
Mar 10 21:37:14 zy /kernel: pid 18798 (gzip), uid 0: exited on signal 11
-------

Assuming this is a memory problem, my question is: how is it that this machine,
which has been running continuously for six months as a server, several domains
and websites and some heavy computational processing could avoid finding this
problem while "make world" would expose it?  Is there something peculiar
going on here that would stress the system differently than normal usage?

The basic configuration is:
	Cyrix 6x86 P166+ CPU
	128Mb EDO RAM
	Adaptec 2940 Controller