Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:52:01 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, netmonger@genesis.ispace.com, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

Jeremy Lea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 11:20:30PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I was thinking in terms of a script (or package) that used the
> > output of "pkg_info -a -q" (or set dependencies) such that the
> > installation was straight-forward, given the commercial vendor's
> > installation media.
>
> Why not just have a new ports category called "commercial"?  That way it is
> easy to make sure the software installs on all versions of FreeBSD, etc. and
> that the required dependencies are installed. Obviously this would require
> that FreeBSD, Inc. be supplied with demo copies of all the software :)

Or just a web or ftp download site.  Aren't ports cool?

Plus, this would save us from going to a 6- or 8-CD distribution, something
I'm certain Jordan doesn't want to contemplate.

I guess we could make a "FreeBSD Enterprise" distribution, with CD's of
all of the different applications we can support, and put it in one of
those big CD books Sun uses.  ;^)

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com