Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 21:40:53 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba laptop on FreeBSD?

> It's a Toshiba Satelite Pro 420 CDT with 40 MB memory and a P100
> and a choice of /either/ a floppy or a CDROM.

I'm running FreeBSD on a Satellite Pro 415 CS with 24MB of RAM and a
P75.  Works just fine.

> He wants to know if the CDROM version can boot off FreeBSD CDs,
> or if he should take the one with the floppy and install from
> our LAN;

I've never used the CD in mine, let alone attempted to install from
it.  Personally, I'd go for the one with the floppy.  I can't imagine
having a workstation without a floppy drive.

> and if the thing would be able to run FreeBSD + X11
> successfully.

It can run X, but don't expect killer performance out of it.  I run it
at 600x400 with 4-bit colors (i.e., 16 colors).  It isn't terribly
impressive, but it suits my purposes (mainly Emacs).

Hope this helps

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org