Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:21:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ctodd@chrismiller.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to customize a release?

I'm looking for information on how to properly customize a FreeBSD
distribution when using the "make release" framework. Specifically I need
to modify some config files to default to serial console and fast baud
rate, and use a custom kernel configuration (not just hack the GENERIC
conf file).

The documentation on the FreeBSD site covers how to build a release, but
other than a few hints I'm not finding and references on the correct way
to _customize_ the release. I did find a site that discusses building a
release, mirroring the usr/src tree from that release directory, modifying
the source, then creating a diff patch that's used on a subsequent "make
release". If it works as advertised, this is somewhat helpful other than
waiting an entire day for multiple release builds to finish.

Is there a way to populate the build area with the source, then apply my
own patches prior to running a full "make release"? I tried "make
release.1" but this totally ignored my CHROOTDIR and tried to create "/R"
in my root partition :-(.

Also I noted that "make rerelease" updates the source from CVS which is
undesirable in my case since I already have fresh source that was used
to create patches, and if any of those original files changed my patches
could fail. Can CVS updates be turned off for subsequent builds?

Lastly, KERNCONF seems to have no relevance in "make release". How can I
force a non generic kernel to be used when building the release?

Chris