Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 22:14:14 +0800
From:      Jarvis Cochrane <jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Technical questions about BSD

Graeme Tait wrote:

> > > I don't think it matters if he is qualified or not. FreeBSD gets
> > > unfortunately little press, and can use all it can get.
> >
> > This is akin to saying that any publicity is better than no
> > publicity.  But that's a philosophy that, while suited to
> > predatory scum like billg, has no place in rational people's
> > thinking.
> >
> > > Even if his
> > > story has very little useful information, it can't be more harmful than
> > > no story.
> >
> > I happen to disagree.
>
> <snip>
>
> I think the problem here is that your response to the journalist would more
> likely result in *bad* press for FreeBSD than no press.

Excuse me if I'm off the track here, but I missed some of the thread...

Am I right in thinking that this thread is in response to a request by Lee
Bruno for some background information for a story about various OS's?

When I read Lee Bruno's original mail, I was surprised that he hadn't been
able to find answers to his questions. After all, isn't most of the stuff he
asked about either somewhere in www.freebsd.org or in the handbook?

And I was surprised at the way that he phrased some of his questions - it
didn't seem to me as if he was really sure which questions to ask...

But I thought I should reply as best I could, because here was someone
_asking_ for hard information about FreeBSD, and asking the very people who
could reasonably be expected to know.

How would it look if no-one (not even li'l ol me!) replied to his response?
That the FreeBSDers are too cool to care? That we didn't _want_ people to know
about this great thing that we have?

That'd be _really_ sad.

Jarvis