Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:46:19 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Running X-clients on remote hosts.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:44:17AM +0100, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> > How to make X listen on the network depends on how you start the X
> > server.  If you use startx(1), then you just need to invoke it as:
> >
> >     startx -listen_tcp
>
> Hmm, well, this definately does not work for me ;-/

So, what happens if you try and start X listening on the network?

What version of XFree86 do you have installed?  You need at least
XFree86-clients-4.2.0_1 according to my reading of the CVS logs:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/Makefile?rev=1.96&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

It should be pretty obvious if your startx(1) understands the
-listen_tcp flag just by reading the script.  Of course, if it doesn't
understand the -listen_tcp flag then it probably defaults to listening
on the network anyhow.

What does:

    netstat -an | grep '\.60[0-9][0-9]'

 or

    sockstat | grep ':60[0-9][0-9]'

return?  How about:

    ps -axwww | grep /usr/X11R6/bin/X

You need for something to be listening at about port 6000+n
(where n is zero or more, but usually less than 20) in order to have
any hope of running X over the network.

If X *is* listening for network connections, then I'd start looking at
firewall rulesets or the like to discover what's blocking the traffic.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow