Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:33:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, craigs@os.com, jab@rock.anchorage.net, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Slow Etherlink

> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:
>
> >>One thing I will say about Linux is that it has superior screen display
> >>performance.  So, if what you are complaining about is screen redraw
> >>speed, Linux is much faster than FreeBSD.
> >
> >Really?  Linux was 6-12 times slower last time I worked on speeding up
> >syscons.

Syscons is nearly as fast as the PC architecture allows for :)
It uses a totally different method  of updating the screen than
all the other console driver in the "free" world (minix excluded)

> One problem I do have with the syscons driver, however, is the
> cursor. I'm not one who things much of the blocky cursor, especially
> since porting Crisp as an editor with it's neat ability to change
> the cursor size over virtual/real spaces - it needs to have the
> hardware cursor enabled (e.g. vidcontrol -c destructive) so the
> cursor size can change. The problem is, the screen updates are
> affected by enabling that, such that when typing at the shell
> prompt, you often don't see characters that are typed until you
> hit enter.
>
> Is this a known problem? I'm running 2.2-CURRENT if that is

Yes, it is, and it is on my TODO list...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.