Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:53:35 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2-BETA: giving up on 4 buffers (ata)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Stefan Ehmann wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 19:37, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I rebooted my 5.2-BETA (kernel about 24 hours old), it gave up on
> > flushing 4 dirty blocks.
> >
> > I had three UFS1 softdep file systems mounted on one ATA drive, one
> ext2
> > file system on another ATA drive and one ext2 file system on a SCSI
> > drive.  Both ext2 file systems had been mounted read-only, so they
> can't
> > have had dirty blocks.
>
> This is a known problem for nearly three months now (See PR 56675). It
> happens to me every time I shut down the system if i don't unmount my
> (read-only) ext2 file systems manually.

I'm not sure if the problem is known for the read-only case.  It is
the same problem as in the read-write case.  ext2fs hangs onto buffers,
so shutdown cannot tell if it can look at the buffers and considers
them to be busy.  Then since shutdown cannot tell if it synced all dirty
buffers or which buffers are associated with which file systems, it
doesn't unmount any file systems and all dirty file systems that aren't
unmounted before shutdown are left dirty.  Read-only-mounted ext2fs file
systems aren't left dirty but they break cleaning of other file systems.

Bruce