Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:47:28 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Got past installworld, new problems however [WASRe: make installworld fails with mergemaster errors - 4.4Rel upgrade to 4.6 Stable]

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 03:40 am, sroberts@dsl.pipex.com wrote:
| Hi Doug,
|    Thanks for getting back to me. I actually got around that problem in the
| end.
|
| However upon completing the upgrade, I noticed a couple of things:
|
| 1] startx has stopped working (just XFree86-4.0.2 from the 4.4 CD Set, no
| gnome of kde installed as yet)

Hard to say.  Does /etc/X11/XFree86Config look like it always did?
Might want to ktrace/kdump and see what it's really calling.

| typing "startx" for any user just sits there doing nothing (after 5 mins or
| so I killed it with cttrl c)
|
| 2] All user account except that for root disappeared.

Something went wrong with mergemaster.  Perhaps you installed when you should
have merged.  (Or perhaps the problem is with the weird make stuff you cite
below.  I don't believe that I ever did anything of the sort and things
worked ok for me.)

Regardless, the solution is simple:
Restore your /etc/passwd /etc/master.passwd from backup.

| 3] During bootup apache failed with "unable to find my FQDN". After login
| (as root) "ps waux | grep httpd" returns nothing.

Sorry, that's Greek to me.

| 4] The box does not ask me to enter a password when logging in as root on
| the console

See [2] above.

| I'm not sure if this is the right way to get the above queries addressed,
| but let me know if I should post another to the list.

This is a good place for . . . well, questions.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org