Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:39:35 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>, Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: newbie kernel question- strip problem

Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 05:52:57PM -0700, Jeff Gray wrote:
> > Maybe a [silly] rehash, but maybe not.
> >
> > The reason I ask is that neither the archives nor the earlier post by
> > Jason indicated that it was necessary to change permissions to do this
> > before using strip -g on a kernel.  I am trying to understand if I
> > am solving the correct problem by changing permissions.
>
> Not sure why it's not documented, and yes you are solving the
> correct problem by changing permissions.

The order in which I learned to do it is:
1) compile kernel. stay in the compile directory
2) cp kernel /var/crash/kernel.debug
3) strip -g kernel
4) make install

That saves the trouble of modifying the copy of the kernel that's
already installed and chflag'ed. Maybe I should use the --strip-debug
option...

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>