Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Subject:   RE: Good Lord, Commercial Linux

Hi "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin";  On 30-Sep-97 you wrote:
>  On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
> > c.  BSD came from Berkeley, it is a hack.  Linux is systemV like.  It
> > has a
> >     heritage of Large Company.  Caldera was founded by Mr. Noorda, he
> >     is
>
>          Ahem!  Linux has no such "heritage".  That's why it too is free.
>  The linux crowd just whent the SYSV like API.  Designing a car that
>  looks
>  like a volkswagen bug, invokes the image of volkswagen the company and
>  alows you to buy third party parts, but nothing of the orignal is inate
>  the the copy, quality, stability, history, etc.
>
>       As to BSD being a 'hack', I think you do it disservice.  Berkeley
>  has produced a lot of top notch software.  How much of what we call the
>  internet is just Berkely derived software: tcp/ip, sockets, sendmail,
>  etc.

You obviously missed part of my message.  I put a (what I thought was) a
clear disclaimer at the bottom.  This is not how I think and feel.  This is
how things, in corporate circles are precived many times.  Were I to think
this way, I would not have chosen FreeBSD as a platform for a critical and
HUGE project.

Besides, were it not for the BSD project, SystemV will still be swapping,
rather than paging, using uucp and ISO instead of TCP/IP, etc.

It is healthy, at times, to see how the other side is thinking.

BTW, I would not necessarily put sendmail as one of the jewels in Berkeley
crowns :-)  and you forgot the Ingres-Postgres project.  One of the more
impressive, and ORIGINAL developments at Berkeley.
Also, you ommited vi :-)

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313