Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 01:15:59 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Subject:   Re: Apache 2.4 must become default NOW

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 12:27:48AM +0200, olli hauer wrote:
> On 2014-07-05 19:09, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > given ports@ ist listed as maintainer, you get the email.  The Subject =
says it.  The world has moved on;  in March I had a hard time arguing, in J=
uly I just cannot anymore.  We must switch to 2.4;  whatever breaks needs f=
ixing, but somehow other distributions have managed and we did not and keep=
 screwing our users missing a lot of security features.
> >=20
> > Please fix!
> >=20
> > =E2=80=94=20
> > Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983
>=20
>=20
> Hi Bjoern,
>=20
> nothing against this change, except your complain comes a little bit late.
>=20
> The portstree was already tagged for 9.3 some days ago so this change wou=
ld be a possible issue for all users using the 9.3 packages.
>=20
> Before the default version can be changed a full expr. run by portmgr@ is=
 required and all possible issues should be fixed.
>=20
> Unluckily we have a rolling ports tree (not like RHEL and others where su=
ch a change happens during new major releases) so there should be also a ti=
me frame to warn users about such a change.
>=20
> I remember endless discussions about the removal of apache13 after it was=
 already deprecated nearly one year after upstream deprecation ...

Just provide the patch for the change and warn the user about the change, n=
ow,
just do not MFH it to the quarterly branch, so the user willing to keep apa=
che22
for a while can live on the quarterly branch for the next 3 months :)

I don't see the problem for the people using 9.3 packages, if they want
stability they will stay on quarterly branch which still provides by default
apache22 for 3 month.

Hopefully when pkg 1.3 will land we will be able to add new feature to the =
ports
tree aka build the apache module for all supported apache version leading to
anyone using package being able to chose the apache version they what whate=
ver
the default is (but we are not there yet :))

regards,
Bapt

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB--