Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:24:04 -0800
From:      "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: crontab question

> Greetings,
> I am running 5.1-release.  I created the file=20
> /var/cron/tabs/root .  It is owner root, group wheel.=20
> permissions are -rw-------
>=20
> I have the following entry in the file root
>=20
> 0 22 2-31 * * /usr/local/bin/rsync -av /dept2/Marketing/=20
> /data/Marketing
> 2>&1 /r
> oot/rsync.log
>=20
> Of course the line above is all on one line.
>=20
> Well, this command did not run last night.  No=20
> /root/rsync.log file was created. No email was generated.  Zip.
>=20
> what did I screw up to prevent cron from running the command ?
>=20

As far as I know, you should never manually create a crontab file.  =
Normal
users should just type crontab -e on a command line for scheduling.  The
same might apply to root, never tried personally.  One sure fire way to =
get
it working is to add your above line to /etc/crontab with root in the =
user
column.  This is not normally recommanded, so you might try doing =
crontab -e
as root first.