Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 13:20:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ember Talent <etalent@bizjournals.com>
Subject:   Re: What is BSD

On 02-May-01 Andrew Hesford wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:52:37AM -0700, Ember Talent wrote:
<snip>
> Back in the days when I was, oh, about -13 years old (yes, that's a
> minus sign),

funny, I don't feel old.

>         a man named Dennis Ritchie and some of his cohorts at Bell
> Labs decided to build an operating system to run on their PDP-11

PDP-7

> computer. This was called UNICS, as a takeoff of the Honeywell operating
> system MULTICS (at least, it runs on Honeywell computers... I can't be
> sure who wrote the OS).

General Electric, imortalized in the "gecos" field of passwd(5)
and the UNICS -> UNIX linage is iffy.

<snip remain good stuff from Andrew>

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       dread@texas.net
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to