Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:37:52 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Brian Fischman <gameboy@interpath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm

At 00:44 1/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a problem, when i run startx everything works fine, however when
>i run xdm, after i login the screen gets messed up and 3 secs later i am
>at the login screen again, this is a never ending cycle, any
>suggestsions?
>Brian

When you start X by using 'startx', the file '~/.xinitrc' is read in order
to set up your session. The analog of '.xinitrc' is '~/.xsession'.  Xdm
reads '/.xsession' to set up your session.

I venture a guess that you do not have a '.xsession' file. If you do, then
I might guess that it does not refer to a window manager. You must start a
window manager in order to run a session.

Read your existing '.xinitrc' for some ideas on what should be in your
'.xsession'.

I am not sure that this reply will fully answer your question. I hope that
this gives you some ideas.

Read man X carefully. This info about how startx and xdm are initialized is
in there. But that man page is sooooo big sometimes it is easy to start
skimming and miss important stuff. I was tripped up on xdm for a while but
the man page got me started.

I use xdm myself. I prefer it for the sole reason that I like the login
widget. YMMV.

Good luck,
Jason Wells