Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:55:27 +0200
From:      Luke Roberts <luke@roberts.nl>
To:        chris@hexanet.fr, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem building kernel on 4-STABLE

At 15:46 06/10/2000 +0200, Christophe Prevotaux wrote:

>I just updated my source tree and when I try to compile my kernel I get
>these errors , does anyone knows why ?

Could be because of the order in which you do things. Below cookbook I
wrote lately worked for me and my brother's FreeBSD box.

Cheers,

Luke

1. Install CVSUP
----------------------

   cd /usr/src/ports/net/cvsup-bin
   make
   make install

2. Fetch the latest FreeBSD stable source for /usr/src from the FreeBSD
repository

   cd
   /usr/local/bin/cvsup -h cvsup.nl.freebsd.org
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

(this will now download loads of stuff, could take an hour)

3. Compile stuff
-----------------

   cd /usr/src
   make buildworld

(this will take a long time ~1 hour)

4. Go to single user mode and Install Stuff

   shutdown now         (the computer will shutdown and go into a single
user prompt)
   cd /usr/src
   make installworld

5. Recompile and Install Kernel
--------------------------------

   cd /src/i386/conf
   config -r YOURKERNEL     (YOURKERNEL = name of yopur kernel)
   cd ../../compile/YOURKERNEL
   make clean
   make depend
   make install