Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:57:05 +0800
From:      Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
To:        Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
Cc:        Wang Penghui <wangpenghui@realss.com>
Subject:   Re: priority-- curious about cpu resouce share

Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko wrote:

>>* sshd almost starves; it takes 0.00% (normally 2%) and only transfer
>>several bytes once several minutes; the otherside scp prompts "stalled".
>>

>sshd doesn't starve CPU, I guess; as you reach it through ppp, and ppp
>gets slow, sshd does, too.

Sounds reasonable:)

Things can hardly be perfect. Now I begin to use mpg123, I used your
method of "rtprio up and su back", very useful to me.

But if mpg123 has higher priority than ppp, sometimes mpg123 decides to
move to another song, it reloads buffer, starveing ppp and timeouting
bluetooth device... If mpg123 has equal/lower priority with ppp, they
struggle for CPU, and that *sounds* bad. Now I adjusted buffer, it works
so so.

I read the handbook it says "no way to limit CPU percentage". It's my
toy, a old P166M box, I let other people in the office ssh to the box
with cmp3 console DJ (backended mpg123) to play music, because it has
good speakers. I use ppp over bluetooth to connect to the box when I'm
enjoying sun shine outdoor.

The best way seems to buy a new one:)