Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:01:20 -0400
From:      Steven Yang <syang@DIRHIT.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-database@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   gdbm scalability question

Hi, I am having trouble creating a gdbm database larger than 16.9MB.  I
have 128MB of RAM, and would like my database to be as large as 2GB.
However, as I generate a test database, when the file reaches 16.9MB in
size, I get:

gdbm fatal: malloc error

It appears that there is a per-process limitation of 16MB of RAM with a
generic kernel.  But even if I were to get around that per-process
thing, I wouldn't be able to generate a 2GB database file with only
128MB of RAM given what I am doing.   Does gdbm have to load the entire
database into RAM in order to insert a record?  Is there a setting I
have to change?

Does anybody out there know how to make a large gdbm database, like one
with 10 million records where the content of each record is 1-2KB?  Once
the database is created, it is meant to be read-only.

- Steven Yang