Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:15:39 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Jason Borkowsky <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headless FreeBSD box - Serial Redirection Not Working

> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:39:08 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Jason Borkowsky <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> Greetings! I have FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE running on a rackmount chassis, and
> I want to convert it to a headless box, with all console output redirected
> to the serial port. I have followed the directions in the FreeBSD handbook
> as follows:
>
> In my kernel, I have the flag 0x10 set on serial port 1 to make it a
> console:
>
> device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
>

> In my /boot.config file, I have the "-P" option set to probe for keyboard on
> booting, and then redirect the console appropriately.
>
> Now when I go to reboot the machine (with the keyboard removed), I see the
> following on my dumb terminal on the serial port
>
> /boot.config: -P
> Keyboard: no
>
> I then get the message saying "Press [ENTER] to boot kernel or any other key
> to enter single user mode". I press enter, then I see:
>
> Booting kernel...
>
> I then do not get any more display on the serial port, and there is no
> display on the monitor, either. However, the box boots fine and I can get
> into it via telnet. The problem is I lost my console display on both the
> serial port and the monitor. Any idea why it stopped displaying to the
> serial port after leaving the boot loader and starting to boot the kernel?

There are at least a couple of ways to skin this cat, but I do this:
1. Set the console flag in the kernel:
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x30 irq 4

2. Set the boot.config to use loader:

# cat /boot.config
0:da(0,a)/boot/loader

This will boot using the serial port as console. It will NOT use the
internal display device. No probe or anything like that. But it will
boot the loader, so you will have the countdown to hit a space and
enter commands or boot single-user easily.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)