Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:48:05 -0800
From:      Wally! <wally@hotwally.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Installing Mylex RAID DAC960 with FreeBSD

This is a summary of an experience I just had installing a RAID card in a
FreeBSD server. It may be useful for anyone else attempting the same. I was
building a generic Intel box for use as a corporate mail-server.

Since I wanted some level of back-up onboard (fault-tolerance) I decided to
install a RAID. The raid was scrounged from parts on Ebay.com and included
two Seagate 9.1 GIG SCSI drives and a Mylex Acceleraid 150 with the DAC960
raid controller. I installed the RAID card into the ATX case, along with the
two drives and ran a SCSI cable between the three units. I checked over the
excellent documentation at the www.mylex.com site and downloaded and read
the appropriate .PDF manual. Though new to RAID, the manuals are good though
tech-heavy...

At power-up, my motherboard's BIOS recognized the presence of the RAID card.
And displayed the "DAC960" alerts onscreen. The first thing I did was to hit
"Alt-M" which opened a GUI that allowed me to set the raid card's BIOS. This
may be a new idea for some, to have to deal with both your motherboard BIOS
and the RAID card BIOS, but both need to be set correctly. The options on
the RAID should be:

BIOS ENABLED
2 GB Disc Geometry
CD-ROM Boot enabled

What these choices mean is that the BIOS on the controller card is turned
on. It also means that once you've installed FREEBSD the BIOS will look in
the first 2GB for the OS to boot from. And CD-ROM BOOT ENABLED is necessary
if you are installing from a FreeBSD install CD.

Now, re-start and when you see the DAC960 alerts, hit "Alt-R." This starts a
GUI that allows you to begin the configuration of your raid, which supports
up to 10 drives. If you have questions here see the Mylex documentation. I
only had two drives so I defined my two drives as a "pack" and enabled them
as a "system drive" and also chose options of "Write-back" which gives a bit
better performance at the expense of loss of any cached data if power
failed. With two drives I could only define this array as a RAID 1, which
basically means each drive was mirroring the other with identical data and I
could not lose anything unless both crapped out.

Next I went on to install FreeBSD from CD-ROM (this process is covered in
depth elsewhere, i.e. Greg Lehey's book)  Freebsd should work with any Mylex
drive if you are using 4.1.1 or newer releases of FreeBSD. Mike Smith has
noted FreeBSD 4.2 will support the newer Mylex products.

NOTE: In setting up the Mylex BIOS, if the setting is to "8GB Disk geometry"
you get a "missing operating system" message at reboot. Resetting the BIOS
should allow it to boot, but now you are on thin ice. Best to go back and do
these steps overif you want to sleep easy.

That's all 4 now.

- Wally

wally@hotwally.com