Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:36:39 +0000
From:      Jamie Jones <jamie@host-811.news.bishopston.com>
To:        David Loszewski <davidl@metro2000.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Aliasing problems

In muc.lists.freebsd.questions, you wrote:
> I seem to be having problems aliasing programs within just about any
> startup file.  If I try to do something as simple as:
>
> alias ls "ls -F"
>
> in the .xinitrc file and then try to sh it I get:
>
> alias: ls not found
> alias: ls -F not found

Firstly, the alias for you mention is for the csh/tcsh shells.
The syntax for "sh" is:

alias ls="ls -F"

secondly, if you "sh" the file, the file will be run in a new shell,
the alias will be setup, then subsequently lost when the shell exits..

You need to *source* the file, using "." instead of "sh" to load it:

. ./filename

> why would this be happening? this happens with anything that I try to
> alias but if I try to alias it temporarily at the console it works fine.

presumably, you are using the default shell on the console of "csh" ?

In which case, you "source" the file with:

source ./filename

Cheers,
jamie

--
Jamie Jones <jamie@bishopston.com>   http://www.bishopston.com/jamie/
--- 279 days to Christmas!       Word of the day: "phototherapeutics"