Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:16:26 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perl and other fixes to bsd.port.mk

Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * Ah! I got confused, and was assuming that 2.2.6 was the final
>  * release in 2.2.*.
>
> Oh.  Also, remember we will have to support 2.2.8 for quite awhile (at
> least until 3.1 is out) with packages-stable.

Roger that.

>  * > (2) The add-on packages (p5-* ports) will remain in the ports tree, so
>  * >     I don't understand why perl5 going into /usr/src has anything to
>  * >     do with the situation.
>  *
>  * I am going to nuke all references to the version number in directory names
.

> You mean you're going to change the perl5 port as well as the version
> imported to /usr/src to be like the previous version (i.e., no version
> numbers in directories)?

That was one of my ideas. You may remember a pice of mail I sent
out a couple of days ago asking what folk thought. In hindsight I
could have been clearer about my intentions.

> By the way, I'll really appreciate it if you can tell me these things
> beforehand.  I was completely blindsided by the new perl5 commit which
> broke over a hundred ports.  I just spent a couple of hours fixing up

Apologies. I was working from a base of ignorance and speed - I'd
like to get perl5 into 3.0 ASAP, and I thought that a step forward
was thrashing out the ports issues.

> devel/p5-* (testing the new bsd.port.mk too, of course).  Now you're
> telling me it was all unnecessary? ;)

Er, not quite. :-) Your work will be very useful in making the 3.* perl ports
(and the 2.2.8 ones) work properly.

Here is my proposed scheme:

Perl5-distributed library stuff goes in /usr/libdata/[{alpha|i386}-freebsd/]*
Perl5 ports go in /usr/local/libexec/perl5/[{alpha|i386}-freebsd/]*

How do you feel about that?

Mark Murray