Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:32:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports vulnerabilities

I had heard a bit about the new "vulnerability check" in FreeBSD's ports.
I tried reading /usr/ports/updating and saw something like:

  ports system in order to keep more accurate, up-to-date, track of
  security vulnerabilities.  The ports system now knows how to query
  that database and dynamically prevents the installation of vulnerable
  ports.

I had to do some more digging around on various googles to find out that
in order to USE this ability, I had to install the portaudit port.  This
seems like a useful feature, but I'm curious: Why isn't this in the base
system?

I tried to install a port which had a conflict (ImageMagick) but I
didn't feel the vulnerability was significant enough to warrant waiting
for a new port to be created.  I looked in the ports man page for an
override environment variable, but "vulnerability check" isn't even
mentioned there.  Could this please get stuck into the manpages?

-Dan Mahoney

--

<Zaren> Christ almighty...  my EYES!  They're melting!

-Zaren, Efnet #macintosh, in response to:

www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Classroom/1944
The WEBSITE DESIGN class that gave my fiancee a D.