Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:59:01 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Hal Weaver" <hweaver@pinetel.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Slow, noisey hard drive activity

> > I've installed the following FreeBSD release on two different removable
> > hard drives used in the same laptop (IBM Thinkpad 760 ED):
> >
> > Builds, boots, and other intense hard drive activity takes about twice
> > as long on the larger hard drive (5G) than it does on the smaller
> > (1.2G).  There is also a ticking noise accompanying the hard drive
> > activity on the slower drive.

I have a multitude of small IBM drives (120MB up to 1.2GB) and they all
exhibit the ticking noise that you mention.  This is nothing to worry about,
as it's just the sound produced by the motor that moves the heads.  I don't
exactly know why these drives make such an audible noise when doing this,
but it's just the way it's always been for these drives.

--
Matt Emmerton