Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 03:13:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>, Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Native J2SE 1.4 update (it's working)

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:54:36AM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > Time and effort.  Making early release patches takes time, and that time
> > > could sometimes be better spent doing other JDK things.
> >
> > If the process would be more automated (as XP suggests) then this problem
> > would be solved :-)
>
> Again, time and effort.  Automating it takes time, and until recently,
> there wasn't much going on in the repository, so spending time
> automating the process wasn't worthwhile.

Actually, the process is somewhat automated.  I have a script which produces
the raw diffs and the ChangeLog.  However there is more to a patchset
release than just rolling some patches.  Briefly:

1. Prerelease cleaning up of the repository.  I like to give everyone some
   warning so they can get the changes they want into the patchset.
2. Rolling the release.  Even though its mostly automated it does take a
   couple hours to go through the process.
3. Updating the documentation.  Meagre as it is, I try to keep what
   documentation that does come with the patchset up to date.
4. Testing.  If it doesn't work for me then it probably won't work for
   anyone else.  I like to test building and running the patchset by
   hand from the instructions and via the FreeBSD port.  Depending on
   what version I also like to try at least a build on NetBSD and
   OpenBSD if thats appropriate.
5. Update the FreeBSD port.  There is no point putting out a patchset
   if the FreeBSD port isn't updated to use it.
6. Update the web pages.  The pages need to be updated in terms of allowing
   the new patchset to be retrieved, at a minimum.

This isn't a whine and people don't all need to be all "oh, we're grateful
for what you do".  I do this because I want to.  However, people _do_ need
to be aware of the time it takes and that this time has to be allocated
to the release process.  At the moment I am trying to keep the FreeBSD
port up to date with some of the patches that go into the repository
(there are more in the pipelines) and only do a patchset when we've got
a some significant work that is unwieldy to do with patches to the port
and which involves important functionality or bug fixes.  Admittedly the
port patches could be going a little better at the moment, but I can look
to address that in future.

In short, its not a ten minute job to roll a patchset and a that which can
be automated mostly is.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org