Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 11:23:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Subject:   Re: I plan to change random() for -current (was Re: rand() and random())

Hey all,

I'm trying to stay on top of this thread and follow all the theories, and
I'll throw in my two cents --

It's important to recall Andrey wanted to change random() originally in
part because the Gimp folks (and probably others) complain that our
random() is really too non-random().

I've done a fair amount of fiddling with random number generators in my
time, and I think it's safe to say there's no way it's going to get
improved to the point where the numerical folks are happy.  Jordan hit
this one squarely on the head.  Hence most of them use their own random
number generator.  I don't know anyone that depends on the routine that
comes with the system.  That's almost scary.

There's been one suggestion to write another random number generator and
not changing the old one.  I don't think that's going to fix anything,
since in general the software driving this change (GIMP et al) is all
going to have to have small ugly hacks in them to support it.  It would be
nicer if our random() just worked.

So, following in this line of reasoning, I support fixing random().

Regards,

Brian