Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:52:49 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Google (was: Re: GCC as a selling point for FreeBSD? (Not!))

Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org> writes:
> At 10:39 PM 1/21/2003 -0800, Dave Hayes wrote:
>> There is no objective truth that you can prove exists. All truth is
>> subjective, at least as the human mind understands it.
>>
>> At the very least, you deciding to be on whichever side of the line
>> you see fit is a great display of subjectivity. ;)
> Do not make this some convoluted and meaningless debate on the
> definition of truth.

You mean you didn't see that it already was such a debate?

> http://www.google.com/technology/index.html
> Look under Integrity.
> Google does not take money for placement in search results.

Sure, I agree they say this on their website. This may even be
true. You repeating this does not make it true.

> This is, to my satisfaction and the satisfaction that any reasonable
> person would accept for general daily use, a truth.

For some arbitrary definition of "reasonable", of course. I note also
that you are implying that the acceptance of a "truth" is somehow
connected to one's reasonability. Is that intellectually honest?

> You might want to check out sci.philosophy.tech for future
> enlightenment?

Unfortunately for this sentiment, my enlightenment does not come
from any sort of consensual reality.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

Because you grasp labels and slogans, you are hindered by
those labels and slogans, both those used in ordinary life
and those considered sacred. Thus they obstruct your
perception of objective truth, and you cannot understand
clearly.                                 -Zen Master Linji