Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:23:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Jeremy D. Pavleck" <judge@Pavleck.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA Raid cards

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> 3ware is the way to go in my experience.  They work really well under
> FreeBSD, Windows and Linux. The FreeBSD drivers were originally written by
> Mike Smith and Paul Saab is now maintaining them.  They are not overly
> fancy in FreeBSD but they do what they are designed to do.  I have used
> them extensively in RAID0, 1 and 10. RAID 5 is slow, but thats more RAID5
> than anything. Also RAID 1 seems to be very intelligent about reads, using
> both drives to give better read performance as compared to the stats with
> just one drive.  Writes on RAID 1 are not penalized at all.
>
>          ---Mike

I second that. I love 3Ware cards for IDE RAID, especially if you plan to
implement IDE RAID on a server who's data is considered even remotely
critical. They do run more then Promise/HighPoint/etc cards though, the
8506-4LP (4 port SATA CARD - forgive me if model # is wrong) runs ~$350 US
on NewEgg, but they are worth it.

 I agree with Mike about the RAID 5 performance, but the SATA cards seem
to be a lot faster with it then the PATA ones.

 -Jeremy D. Pavleck