Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 09:50:41 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux emulation file descriptor leakage -current?

This is what happens when I start skype (NOTE: this is *not*
limited to skype -- I see the same problem with a thunderbird
linux binary but linux-firefox & linux-opera work fine).

$ skype &
$ sudo sh -c " while sleep 3; do lsof |grep skype|wc; done"
    4126   38134  495635
    4196   38959  499830
    4226   39229  502965
    4266   39589  507145
    4296   39859  510280
    4336   40219  514460
    4366   40489  517595
    4406   40849  521775
    4436   41119  524910
    4476   41479  529090
    4516   41839  533270
    4546   42109  536405
    4586   42469  540585
^C

Is this a known problem or am I in an alternate universe?

I am running -current as of yesterday, with a freshly
installed linux_base-8 and skype.  But this has been
happening for atleast a couple weeks and may be more.

Looking at the lsof output, about a third opens are for a
directory, two thirds are files.  It seems to open over a
hundred directories (all of them multiple times)!  It opens
over 400 files (all multiple times).  Many of these files
have nothing to do with skype!

Doing a truss shows a lot of linux_ioctl() and gettimeofday()
on one skype_bin process and linux_times() and linux_time()
on another process.  Doung ktrace on these processes shows
something totally different (all sorts of syscalls).

Thanks for any help or hints on how to debug this....

-- bakul