Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:33:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Bernhard Froehlich" <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        gary.jennejohn@freenet.de
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, Martin Wilke <miwi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Call for tester: VirtualBox 3.1.2 for FreeBSD

On Mon, December 28, 2009 3:25 pm, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 00:24:26 +0100
> Martin Wilke <miwi@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>>     # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxguest.sh start
>>

> This shell script has a problem.  It looks in /boot/kernel for the
> module but the port installs it under /boot/modules.
>
> I also can't load this module (after loading vboxdrv.ko):
>
> sh -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vboxguest.sh start
> + VBOXGUESTFILE=''
> + SILENTUNLOAD=''
> + check_root
> + id -u
> + test 0 -ne 0
> + get_module_path
> + moduledir=/boot/modules
> + modulepath=/boot/modules/vboxguest.ko
> + test -f /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko
> + VBOXGUESTFILE=/boot/modules/vboxguest.ko
> + check_if_installed
> + test /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko -a -f /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko
> + return 0
> + test '' = silentunload
> + start
> + module_loaded
> + kldstat
> + grep vboxguest
> + loadentry=''
> + test -z ''
> + return 1
> + /sbin/kldload vboxguest.ko
> kldload: can't load vboxguest.ko: Exec format error
> + module_loaded
> + kldstat
> + grep vboxguest
> + loadentry=''
> + test -z ''
> + return 1
> + abort 'Failed to load vboxguest.'
> + echo 'Failed to load vboxguest.'
> Failed to load vboxguest.
> + exit 1
>
> file /boot/modules/vbox*.ko
> /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko:    ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1
> (FreeBSD), not stripped
> /boot/modules/vboxguest.ko:  ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1
> (FreeBSD), not stripped
> /boot/modules/vboxnetadp.ko: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1
> (FreeBSD), not stripped
> /boot/modules/vboxnetflt.ko: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, x86-64, version 1
> (FreeBSD), not stripped
>
> Does vboxguest.ko have silent dependencies on other vbox modules?  I only
> loaded vboxdrv.ko.

Looks like you installed the guest additions on the host. You should not
do that. They should only be installed on FreeBSD guests running in an
virtualbox.

Nevertheless could you please see in /var/log/messages what error was
logged when you tried to load vboxguest.ko ?

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/