Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:32:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        John Indra <john@indocyber.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X authority (Was: A few questions)

John Indra <john@indocyber.com> types:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:45:52AM -0500, pW wrote:
> |As for root opening up an X app... use just 'su' instead of 'su -'
> Hmmm... I wasn't looking for this solution. But thanks anyway ;)
> I'm interested about how xauth works and I believe this has something to do
> with X cookies. Please CMIIW.
> Where can I read more about this?

"man xauth" actually has all the information. You need to make sure
that everyone's XAUTHORITY file has the same information for the
display in question. You might also check what xhost is set to, and
read the Xsecurity man page.

My solution is to ignore it, and use ssh with X forwarding to connect
to remote machines. That doesn't work to su to another user on the
same host, though. Setting XAUTHORITY to something that includes the
display you're using should make everything work for all users you
become, though.

	<mike