Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:20:40 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to do when your Hard Drive achieves escape velocity?

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net> [000225 17:49] wrote:
> >    I'm sure I am missing the boat here somewhere, but I can't seem to
> > find any documentation as to how to restore my system in the event of
> > a catastrophic failure. Both the Handbook and The Complete FreeBSD
> > give some information as to how to back up data, but not how to do
> > the above. To me this seems like a valuable piece of information to
> > have on hand.
> >
> >    If anyone could point me to a source, I would appreciate it
>
> I think the next step would be to restore the data?
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, if you have backups
> then all you need to do is repartition and restore from the
> backups.
>
> Can you be more specific?
>
> check out "man restore".
>
> -Alfred

I did check out "man restore". I also checked "man disklabel", man newfs" and
"man do I have a headache". I guess my point was, it would be nice to have a
step-by-step procedure documented somewhere. Granted, all the information is
available but it's not always easy for someone who is brand new to Unix/FreeBSD
to put it all together on their own. That was the whole point in my purchasing
something like The Complete FreeBSD. I understand the concept behind "RTFM"
(Thanks for not saying it). The thing is, I thought I had bought TFM just for
the purpose of R it.

--  Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.