Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 2002 18:11:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, raymond.j.kohler@lmco.com, drosih@rpi.edu, ak03@gte.com
Subject:   Re: speed of -CURRENT [was: questions about the state of current

On 30-Oct-2002 Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:48:14AM -0500, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
>> > I am experiencing a really noticable slower startup time on my very
>> > recent-CURRENT laptop for almost all programs. The problem seems to be
>> > in getting info in the cache, because it disappears when I start the
>> > same program again.
>>
>> This almost certainly is caused by the 'ioslow' addition to
>> specfs_vnops.c. Find a block in specfs_strategy function which goes into
>> tsleep for niced processes and comment it out. Let us know if that helps
>> :)
>
> Yes, that's it. -CURRENT actually feels snappier than -STABLE now :)

I have to agree.  Until I did this, MP3 playback (using mpg123) was
horribly choppy at times.  Now it's running *much* smoother.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>

I get up each morning, gather my wits.
        Pick up the paper, read the obits.
If I'm not there I know I'm not dead.
        So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed.