Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:59:42 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "chen allison" <allison_chen@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why my reboot failed?

On Wednesday 19 September 2001 16:18, chen allison wrote:
> hi, all
>
> Could you tell me the difference between cold boot and reboot in freeBSD.
> I have an custom hardware system when I installed freebsd on it, cold boot
> is ok, but reboot failed and didn't display any error message. So I came to
> read the boot0 and boot source code but can't find anything. how can I find
> the reason and fixed it?
> thank you very much.

I've run into this before . . . in some cases FreeBSD doesn't properly reset
hardware.  This is definately true (historically at least) of some PCMCIA
devices; most likely it's true of others as well.

When you do a cold boot, the loss of power is guaranteed to reset all the
devices, but a warm boot may fail to reset some things.  The problem is at
shutdown, not bootup; I know this because if I was booted under Windows and
warm-booted into FreeBSD or Windows, it would be ok, but if I was in FreeBSD
and warm-booted into Windows or FreeBSD, it would lock up.

I solved it by aliasing "reboot" to "shutdown -p now" myself.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                 http://www.programming-freedom.org