Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:16:53 -0700
From:      drew <drew@kmfms.com>
To:        fbsd-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   usb -> kernel panic: fatal trap 12 during boot (LONG)

Recently upgraded to 4.0R and tried to add support for a USB Iomega ZIP 100. I haven't dealt with USB in Unix before, so I just edited GENERIC appropriately, to ease troubleshooting.

Config file was straight GENERIC, with SMP support enabled. These changed were made:

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus0
device          da0
device          pass0

# USB support
device          uhci0
device          usb0
device          umass0

After rebooting, I can see that the UHCI bus and ZIP drive are detected correctly, but after the message about my detected CD-ROM, and before root is mounted, I get a kernel panic, fatal error 12. (More below.)

I played around with the config file, and tried the examples given in the OpenBSD manpages, since the ones in the FreeBSD manpages hadn't worked. This proved fruitless. I then disabled all USB entries in the config file and reenabled them one-by-one, trying to isolate the problem, and this leads me to believe that UHCI is the cause. (Yes, UHCI is correct, since the mainboard has a PIIX4.)

The kernel panic message tells me the error occurs at instruction 0xc0182d04. The most specific match I can get with nm /kernel is "nm /kernel | grep c0182" . This yields the following:

c0182fbc T asleep
c0182848 T chooseproc
c0182994 t curpriority_cmp
c0182934 t gcc2_compiled.
c018263c t gcc2_compiled.
c0182298 t gcc2_compiled.
c0182524 T hashinit
c01829fc t maybe_resched
c01821d4 T nosys
c01821e8 T pgsigio
c0182588 T phashinit
c0182820 T procrunnable
c0182768 T remrunqueue
c0182a4c t roundrobin
c0182a40 T roundrobin_interval
c018263c t rqinit
c0182a7c t schedcpu
c0182694 T setrunqueue
c0182c3c T sleepinit
c0182934 t sysctl_kern_quantum
c0182c8c T tsleep
c01825fc t uio_yield
c0182298 T uiomove
c01823bc T uiomoveco
c0182bd8 t updatepri
c0182498 T ureadc
[...]

Sorry for including all of that, but that's what the FAQ says to do. :-)

The mainboard is an Abit BP-6, a 440BX board that uses two Socket 370 Celerons for SMP. Any other system information available upon request, as well as config file and dmesg contents.

My thoughts:

**I haven't set up USB before, so it's very possible that I config'ed it incorrectly. Any corrections to the lines given or additions would be very much welcome.

**I understand that the USB devices use SCSI, but I don't use a SCSI disk, so maybe I don't have SCSI set up correctly...

**Perhaps it is a simple issue of IRQ conflicts?

I've seen two other similar cases of this (fatal trap 12 with USB) mentioned in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, but what I'm looking for is
a.) a fix, or
b.) acknowledgement that this is a known bug, so I can quit playing with the config file hoping I can make it work. ;-)

Much thanks,
drew