Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:06:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch to cleanup inflight desciptor handling.

:I believe that your changes have been sorely needed for many
:years. While I would like to see regular mbufs given a callback
:mechanism, your present approach of using an mbuf cluster
:solves 90% of the problem.
:
:	Kirk  McKusick

    ... Aflred, be careful that you don't break things we only just fixed
    last year.  The descriptor passing code has been broken for many years.

    I think the reason we have to scan the descriptor list is related to
    locating isolated self-referential 'loops' with descriptor passing and
    unix domain sockets and closing them.  e.g. when you pass a descriptor
    for a unix-domain socket through a unix-domain socket, it is possible
    for the socket descriptors to reference each other and thus never have
    their ref count drop to 0 even when all associated processes have
    close()'d.  This happens all the time.  Be sure you don't break the
    fix that solves that particular problem.

						-Matt