Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:22:13 -0800
From:      "Mitchell, Jason" <jmitc2@chmc.org>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Limiting number of downloads per user in Apache??

>Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of people
>are behind internet proxies; AOL, for example, has many millions of
>members, but only a few hundred thousand ip addresses.  It's entirely
>possible that hundreds of different people using browsers on their
>own personal computers could have requests sent from the same IP
>address.  It's more than possible, but in fact quite common.
>
>There is _no_ way to track users in a foolproof manner.  Sorry.

My web page is pretty small, just a personal page, but it does host quite a
few files (2GB worth or so).  I'm not concerned about blocking multiple
people going through a common proxy server, I highly doubt that will ever
come up as I only get maybe a dozen different people hitting my site in any
given day.  Even so, I only want to stop those people from opening 4-5
browsers to get 10 files all at once.

Thanks for all the feedback!

-Jason