Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:54:28 +0300
From:      Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: / full (107% !!)

2010/10/13 Jeff Dowsley <jeff.dowsley@mac.com>:
> Gentles
>
> Just did a csup and rebuilt world and kernel, as usual.
>
> Rebooted to single user mode, and kicked off the installkernel.
>
> This bombed with an "unable to write to device", and "device full".
>
> On rebooting, df shows / at 107%.
>
> Has something changed? =A0I had simply used the default partitioning offe=
red
> when freeBSD 8.0 was installed.
>
> Can anyone suggest what could be pruned out to bring / back to under 100%=
?

> (FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE on an old Compaq with a 30GB HDD)

If I correct then you installed first version 8.1-RELEASE. There was /
default size of 512MB and due to larger kernel during your
installkernel backup copy of your existing kernel was done and then
installed new kernel tree /boot/kernel. Unfortunately 512MB is not
enough and that's why snapshot version of 8.1-STABLE got 1024MB /
partition by default now.

Download from here: ftp://ftp10.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201009/

Andrei Kolu
Raidon Raalid O=DC